Sunday, January 19, 2014

The bounty of Shakespeare

Just watched Kenneth Branagh's 1990s version of Hamlet, which is brutally excellent by the way. Brilliant cast, outstanding acting and directing effort. Seriously, LOOK at this cast!

It is very cool, the way each reading/viewing of Shakespeare shows you something new. This time, I especially enjoyed these interactions involving Hamlet:

1. Hamlet and Polonius, Polonius being a pompous ass as usual and saying that he will treat the visiting actors according to their deserts:

Hamlet 's reply:

God's bodykins, man, much better: use every man
after his desert, and who should 'scape whipping?
Use them after your own honour and dignity: the less
they deserve, the more merit is in your bounty.
Take them in.

2. Hamlet dealing with Guildenstern, asking him to play some music on a recorder

Hamlet

    'Tis as easy as lying: govern these ventages with
    your lingers and thumb, give it breath with your
    mouth, and it will discourse most eloquent music.
    Look you, these are the stops.

Guildenstern

    But these cannot I command to any utterance of
    harmony; I have not the skill.

Hamllet

    Why, look you now, how unworthy a thing you make of
    me! You would play upon me; you would seem to know
    my stops; you would pluck out the heart of my
    mystery; you would sound me from my lowest note to
    the top of my compass: and there is much music,
    excellent voice, in this little organ; yet cannot
    you make it speak. 'Sblood, do you think I am
    easier to be played on than a pipe? Call me what
    instrument you will, though you can fret me, yet you
    cannot play upon me.


No comments:

Post a Comment