Friday, August 16, 2013

Fitbit Challenge Walk Pictures 4 (Sammamish River Trail)

I felt like walking in a new place yesterday, so after work I made my way over to a Sammamish River Trail parking lot in Woodinville. On the way over, the precipitation which the Puget Sound region is famous for was falling vigorously from the sky and I hadn't brought any more rain compensating gear than my Seattle Sombrero(*). So I stopped at the YMCA and worked the elliptical machine for a half hour, giving the rain a chance to abate before going to the trail.

The Sammamish River Trail is a paved, multipurpose trail that winds its way from Bothell all the way to Redmond's Marymoor Park. While it is heavily infested with a particularly earnest and grim species of bicyclist, it does include some neat views of Woodinville's vineyards. It is sort of like a long narrow, paved version of an Olmstead park. However, the stretch from Bothell to Woodinville travels alongside several freeways, so instead I headed in the direction of Marymoor park.

Didn't go this way:

 Environmental standards may not be perfect in Washington state. But they try. And we never have rivers catching fire!


This was a cool two sided statue that was situated right at the Woodinville trailhead, with one side a crescent moon and the other a leaping salmon. Very creative capture of the complexity and beauty of the natural world!


The rain had been reduced to a light mist by the time I started walking the trail and it was actually very pleasant. Along the way it picked up, here and there, but never reached the point where I had to worry about water damage to my cell phone or wallet. The overcast was a typical Seattle Augtober overcast, which is actually kind of cozy.


I was surprised to find that there's an adventure course behind the Redhook Brewery. What could be more fun in than climbing ropes with coworkers/friends and then going inside for an icy cold beer? That would be the best!





 I almost captured a better flying creature photo than these sculptures of dragonflies by an overpass. At one point, I was walking along and a heron just flew in and landed about a hundred feet up the trail. I was getting my camera out to capture a photo of him when a Lance Armstrong bicyclist wannabe came barreling through and the heron flew off. Brilliant.

(Bonus pictures: captured these photos tonight on the Centennial Trail between Lake Stevens and Lake Cassidy)




No comments:

Post a Comment