Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Why Use a Fitbit (or something like it)?

Anytime the topic of exercise comes up, it seems to inevitably veer off into a discussion of weight, leading to an even more contentious discussion of body image. It's pointless and counterproductive so I'm just not going to go there. I have no interest in telling anyone what they should look like or how much they should weigh. What I will do is encourage anyone interested in feeling better to make some form of exercise...and walking is the easiest...part of their life on a regular basis.

I started using the fitbit pedometer because my company held a fitness challenge through most of the Summer. And as I've said elsewhere, I was pleasantly surprised at how something as simple as adding walking to my exercise routine could strongly supplement an existing aerobic fitness habit that I've stuck to for over 10 years now. Walking is GREAT - I regularly engage in other exercise but walking is how I started that fitness habit and walking added to it again. This was a great and pleasant surprise.

That's the plus side to walking. There's something else to consider on the other hand: the risks of living too sedentary a life.

Here's a question for people who are shrugging at the notion of regular exercise: have you considered smoking cigarettes lately? The answer is probably "no"...if you don't smoke cigarettes already, chances are you are partly avoiding it because you know it increases your risk for a pointless, unpleasant, early death.
It's DUMB.

Here's something you may not know: diseases related to inactivity are poised to take over as #1 preventable cause of death. The bar chart below (based on CDC data) shows annual deaths from inactivity in a firm second place to smoking. Yes, pretty soon people may be dying faster from lack of exercise than from smoking cigarettes. And this chart is based on 2004 data...9 years have passed since this data was collected. I doubt that the outlook has gotten rosier.


That's it, all I have to say. I don't want to discourage people by getting tedious about the topic of maintaining physical activity to improve health. But before I close, let me reiterate:
  •  I have zero interest in talking about weight or shape or being snarky gym rat guy. Your shape is NOT my business
  • I would encourage anyone who is not physically active or who needs a change to try walking as a low stress, high benefit activity
Some people would probably include a disclaimer at this point about checking with your doctor before starting an exercise program. That seems kind of unfair because the people who sit around without exercising don't have to check with a doctor first. Duh!

No comments:

Post a Comment